[simpits-tech] May the Force Feedback be with you...

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 09:07:39 -0500

I am going to chime in.

I may have missed some posts, but here are my observations from flying sail
planes:

1)  The force required to move the stick is related to speed.  It is
probably not linear, but I don't know.

2)  When you release the stick it will move to its neutral position (which
changes depending on what the aircraft is doing at the time).

3)  Point 2 is important.  As an example, when you are in a medium banked
turn, you apply stick toward the turn.  When you transition to a steep turn
the "over banking" forces try to roll the aircraft over.  Opposite stick is
required to neutralize this effect.  You must physically push the stick in
the opposite direction and there will be considerable force required to do
this at times.

4)  Turbulence will force the stick to change position, particularly when it
is on one side or the other of the aircraft.

5)  Uncoordinated flight (spins, stalls, and slips) change the nature of the
stick feel completely.  Remember, it is possible to stall an aircraft at a
relatively high air speed.  A high G turn is one example where the weight of
the aircraft (not the mass) increases with G loading and you can stall.

I liked the passive system described by one post with two cylinders
connected by an adjustable valve, but when I thought about it, that only
acts as a damper and does not replicate the forces felt on the stick as you
hold it in any one position.  Plus slow versus fast transitions of the stick
have completely different effects that are not at all like the real forces
you feel on the stick.

Therefore, it must be an active system and you can start with aircraft to
make it simple and add in the other dynamic functions as you go along on
your project.  I would opt for two pneumatic cylinders that you could
rapidly compress and decompress and start writing simple algorithms to
control that.  As you master function, move on to other conditions.  At
least the hardware will do anything you want it to.   All you need to do is
upgrade your software.

Interesting project!

Marv