[simpits-tech] Fixed Frequency Monitor???

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:11:42 -0500

Hi Ed,

I've been using "fixed frequency" and non-standard frequency monitors for
several years.

1. Get the info from the tag on the back of the monitor and ID your exact
monitor.  Eg.: mine is a Sun monitor manufactured by Sony Model: GDM-20-D10,
work station monitor.

2. Search the internet for info on exactly how it's done.  Eg.: I had to cut
the 25 pin vga connector off and make a new one, inserting a small
capacitor.

3. Determine if your graphics card can drive the monitor.  Most good
graphics card can be commanded to output non-standard
frequencies/resolutions.  This utility was very helpful for me "PowerStrip":
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/

Making this work can be like fumbling around in the dark as the boot vga
output will probably not display.  Only after windows has reset the graphics
output will the monitor display a real image.

I spent $100 for my used 20" trinitron about 5 years ago.  Wouldn't even
consider paying full price for the equivalent monitor.

Note: If your monitor is a true "fixed frequency" (runs at one scan
frequency), it's not likely you'll be able to use it for games that run at
multiple frequencies.  Eg. Falcon where the GUI is at 600x800 and your game
resolution is selectable.  My  IBM 9504 monochrome 21" 1600x1200 is
fantastic for CADD work, but not for simming.

Good Luck.

Craig R.