[simpits-tech] beta innovations

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 19:09:17 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/31/03 2:07:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mattb at rtccom.net writes:

>   Hmmm, it just might be worth it.........have you used the ELITE avionics
> panel (I think it's the PFC panel)? How do the Knitters compare to the knobs
>
> on that unit? I find them unacceptably low-quality.......they feel cheap,
> look unrealistic, and you have to turn them rather slowly to keep them from
> floating.
>   Btw, you said you're using the Beta Innovations stuff for the panel, how
> did
> you do the LCD stuff?

I haven't used the Elite panel, but I agree with you regarding the Knitters.
I woudn't go that route again. I'm waiting for some feedback from those who've
said they're buying ALPS switches to see how they are. V2 of my panel won't
use Knitters. ALPS if the report is they're good enough. Otherwise I'll bite
the bullet and pay the extra for Rotary Encoders. Looking at around $150 just
for them though, if I go that way.

As for the LCD panel, thanks there is due to Timo Kopone's FSLCD program
(More freeware! Thanks, Timo!) which allows you to read the FSUIPC values through
the LPT port and pass them to a Hitachi-compatible LCD (most LCD's are)

I'll post the schematic / PCB diagram for the hardware.

Richard