[simpits-tech] AGT Panels, quality???

Steve Wilson mafsix at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:45:37 PST 2003

Hm - Marv, which of Peter's panels do you speak?  I got the whole suite of
Viper panels from him, and mine are thoroughly backlightable.

The downside of Peter Cos' panels is that they are really a kit that you
have to complete.  All switch and button holes are very precisely "drilled"
out, but not the corner recesses for the mounting holes, nor the mounting
holes themselves.  The panels come as a sandwich of two pieces of
plexiglass.  The top one is about 1/16" thick, and it's backside is
laminated with black plastic.  All of the switch designations, lettering,
etc., are engraved on this surface, only in reverse, leaving a smooth
surface on the matte finished face of the panel.  The lower part of the
"sandwich" is a 1/8" clear plexi piece that has the same holes "drilled"
into it as the face panel.  A builder must finesse out the mounting
recesses/holes, paint the top of the backer white, and then assemble.  A bit
of black is needed around the edges too to prevent light bleed.

It's not as simple as an off the shelf solution, or the real thing if you
can get it/afford it, but really looks nice.  I don't have mine in a pit
yet, but I've mocked up the whole set and they look *extraordinary.*

The spiffy part of this deal is that Peter will work with you on your
project, especially if you need something a little different here and there.

Steve W.