[simpits-tech] Now I'm lost.

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Dec 31 02:56:14 PST 2003

RickInNoCal at aol.com wrote:

> Matt asked:
>
> >>How much programming was required to get the USB stuff working?
>
> None at all.
>
> The program that comes with the board, "KBStudio", is self
> explanatory. You plug in the board and run the program. Flip a switch,
> push a button, turn a rotary, or whatever, and that row is
> highlighted. Type the keypress - or set of keypresses - that you want
> to be sent to the sim when you activate the control, and it's done.
> Flip the next switch and repeat. Great thing about it is that you
> don't have to pay any attention when you wire the switches because it
> really doesn't matter which input you wire to which switch, as the
> keypresses are assigned to the physical switch, not to an address or
> anything.

	Wooo...sweet! Sounds like just what I need, at least for the switch
panel. Got a link for either of those rotary switches you mentioned?

> >>Speaking of which, it's a shame real GPS panel units are so pricey,
> seems
> they would be trivial to interface to sim software as all they really
> need
> from the sim is XYZ position.
>
> FSUIPC has a "GPSout" option that lets you literally just plug a real
> GPS straight in. It doesn't even send physical co-ordinates, it sends
> the data a GPS would get from an external antenna system.
>
> Richard

	Neat........I recall an earlier version of X-Plane had GPS support (I
think) back when COM output was about the only way to get data out of
it. I guess FSUIPC is using COM output as well, and you hook the GPS up
with a serial adaptor that comes with the GPS for updating its database?
Too bad I don't have $3500+ to buy a panel GPS. :) Hmmm, whenever I get
my pit going, a nice used older GPS like the KLN89 or similar might be
worth saving pennies for.......that would just be too cool. Hmmm, wonder
if I could convince my flight school to install FS on a computer there
so we can hook up the practice GPS to it instead of using that dorky
docking thing........ :)

	-Matt Bailey