[simpits-tech] Now I'm lost.

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Tue Dec 30 04:36:16 PST 2003

Pete Curran wrote:
> Bubba,
> thats why we are in this hobby
> The challenge!!!

Not to mention the chance to make stuff with expensive machinery ;)

Came up with an idea that might work to replace rotary encoders with
something that works the same, but outputs entirely different keypresses on
either side. Basically the knob turns a coarse gear that acts on a bar
oriented 90 degrees to the shaft, hinged in the middle, and loaded to
center. The end of the bar away from the gear hits a switch when the gear
pushes the end of the rod over as it's turned. I'll build one to test it and
if it works I'll build the other 24 I need.

The other option is to use Panasonic encoders wired to the hacked keyboard a
way I read about earlier so that it hits shift in addition to the key
needed. Just have to set up the key assignments a bit different. I'd prefer
the first option, though, since I found a utility that can remap any USB
input device and emulate it as a keyboard.

Phase I is the quadrant with 2 throttles, speedbrakes, flaps, fuel cutoffs,
autostart, both ignitions, TOGA, and both reverse levers.

Phase 2 is the complete AP panel. I'll have to figure out the encoders and
LEDs by then.

I'm going to have to figure out a good way to hide spent money soon ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net