[simpits-tech] HUD

Rob Hommel rhommel at tacoma.net
Wed Dec 17 04:04:47 PST 2003

This is a very good introduction to the principles involved with the optical
design of a HUD system. Keep in mind that if you are using a clear glass you
will need to correct for the refraction off of two surfaces of the glass.
This is where an optical coating comes in handy to correct for the
distortion if you do not you will get "ghosts" in your field or what appears
to be two images that overlap slightly. If you are planning on designing
your own HUD look at the focal length very carefully as well if your eye is
not within the area described as the focus the image will appear blurred and
out of focus. This is a great place to learn a new skill so feel free to
experiment. I look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Thanks Craig for the heads up on this.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel