[simpits-tech] RE: FlightGear and Hardware

Andre Breytenbach a_breytie at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 08:51:19 PST 2003

Al
I am working down the same lines - only using MCS51 family processors as they have a multi-cpu enabling serial mode. For the USB I have found modules and chips that are easy to hook up to microcontrollers and can be accessed via virtual com ports or directly. All drivers are available free of charge. See http://www.ftdichip.com/.

On the Flightgear side I am of no use - I work with Falcon4.

I have progressed quite a bit with the microcontroller hard and software, but must now start learning Delphi to do the PC side.
For the switches and keys I will receive the key-code from the panel controllers, look it up in a config file and dump the key-press sequence into the keyboard buffer.
For driving the indicators, I will read the F-4 memfile, translate the values to something more meaningful and shorter, tag on a header with the address of the gauge and dump it out via USB.
I do not plan anything more elaborate as my abilities and knowledge said KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. Still I have a lot to learn to make it work.
Contact me directly if you want to swap ideas.
Good luck and all the best.
Andre SimNut Breytenbach
a_breytie at yahoo.co.uk
Sunny South Africa