[simpits-tech] To Marv - Status and the I/ITSEC Show

Marv De Beque mdebeque at woh.rr.com
Mon Dec 15 17:55:19 PST 2003

Yes, still going strong, but taking a 3 week hiatus while I renovate my lab
and shop.  Need more room!!!

Also, getting a new Bridgeport mill (hopefully this week) that I need to
install after the rehab.

The side stick base was an absolute hit at the show last week.  Lockheed and
L3 were all over it.  Lockheed sent 6 real F-16 pilots to test it out and
all left with two thumbs up.  The bad news is pricing is going to be really
expensive.  My cost is very high to make these.

I also unveiled working MFDs at the show with LCD glass.  The bad news is
that they had to be integrated into the front console to get them to fit.  I
just don¹t have a drop in solution, so the glass goes behind the MFD bezel
and the bezel up front.  Still kicks butt!

Gauges have been taking a back seat while the side stick was introduced, but
my focus will be back when I return to work after the new year.

The gauges will probably be the most affordable item I make.  Everything
else has been pretty high end stuff and the price isn¹t too cheap.

By the way, the show was out of sight!  I got to ride in two different
million dollar + viper simulators by Lockheed and L3.  Both had a visual
dome and projection system with 100% full up Viper cockpits.  The sims
really are a joy to fly!!!  Every detail is fully functional, except the
ejection seat (thankfully).  What makes the experience is the domed display.
Nothing beats turning your head and seeing that airport you want to land on.
The sense of reality is awesome.  Doing aerobatics can almost twist your
stomach.  A full dome is a gotta have thing.  So is the $150,000+ it takes
to buy one, unfortunately.

One thing that I have to say impressed me was flying Falcon 4 in some other
sims.   The latest release flight model is almost dead nuts on compared to
the Lockheed and L3 model.  To all of you that helped with F4 you have real
reason to be especially proud of your work!!!  F4 rocks!

I want to offer a special thanks to Chris Woodul for allowing me to try out
his Martin-Baker G cuing seat at the show.  That seat really does the job
and his workmanship was jaw dropping.   He is a real artisan in the trade.
Thanks, Chris!!!!

The rest of the show was full of all kind of neat things, too may to list.
However, they had some ³live² fire exercises using blank .223 in M-16s and
lasers to record where the bullet strikes.  You suit up and try to rescue
hostages and not get your butt shot up.

Lots of motion sims, too.   Not everything was aircraft.  They had a sim for
just about anything you can imagine, sea or land.

Marv