[simpits-tech] Video cards

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Tue Dec 2 05:32:49 PST 2003

Joseph Fagner wrote:
> You don't necessarily have to use a router.  You can simply use a hub
> or
> switch.  Just run a CAT-5 from the modem to the any port on the
> switch.  You
> might need to make/get a crossover cable, depends on the switch
> you're using
> and whether it can auto sense the need for a crossover and if it can
> use/have an internal crossover.

I have a few crossovers sitting around for connecting 2 machines straight
together, but my switch and hub both have uplink ports. The router does it
automatically.

> From there you can run a CAT-5 from
> any of
> the other switch ports to your router and then by using the  router
> you can
> take one of the static IP's and assign that to the router. Then have
> your
> routers DHCP assign private IP's to any computer hooked to it.
> And/or, you
> can run a CAT-5 from another switch port directly to a computer's NIC.

That sounds like the way to do it. That'll leave the server outside the
router's firewall on it's own IP, then the router will have another IP and
handle the LAN. I'll probably wind up doing all the HTML writing on this
machine then copy it to the server, so I could just install and configure
everything, then burn the contents of the drive to a CD so I can restore it
in 10 minutes if some jackass decides to screw with it.

> The machine that won't appear on the network, does it get out to the
> internet?

It's just like I unplugged the cable from the NIC. The router doesn't even
see it. The only clue that it even exists is that the lights are on for the
port it's plugged into. If I could get static LAN IPs to work it would be
fine. I rarely have people over here that need to log into the network. I
wonder what would happen if I set the DHCP pool to start at x.x.0.5 and
assigned the server x.x.0.3. I don't remember if I tried that.

I'd love to get all this working, including the IBM Server 320 I have
sitting around. The server is the hard part since it's microchannel and has
a SCSI hot swap rack that needs a specific kind of drive to fit the frames.
I'm seriously considering gutting it and putting in a PCI board with some
processors I have sitting around. Would be very nice to put a dual PII board
in it so I can use these processors I have sitting around. Probably wouldn't
take too much to rework the rack so it would work with IDE drives, just
without the hot swap stuff. I'm itching to do something with this case,
though. Would really annoy the case mod guys to see an $18,000 computer with
lights and windows and stuff ;)

How many stupid hacker tricks are there that can mess with a machine that
has nothing open but port 80?
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net