[simpits-tech] Helo pit builder, anyone?

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:49:56 -0500

If you're really concerned about helicopter flight modeling, you may want to
check out X-Plane. It's pretty widely accepted to have, hands-down, the best
helo model in any current PC sim. Autorotations etc are inherently present
due to the nature of the flight model (ie, it actually considers each
individual rotor blade....analyzes angle-of-attack and speed, does pitch
moment/lift/drag for airfoils including rotor blades, etc). Overall, stuff is
calculated on a lower level. Because X-Plane models things on a
lower level, it's more versatile, allowing more types of aircraft (i.e., you
are not tied to specific configurations.......the model is not necessarily
expecting a wing near CG and a horizontal stabilizer behind it, you could for
instance stick lift fans on the ends of the plane and a wing in the middle
for stability in forward flight, and it will model each of these components
individually).

As an example of how versatile the model is, I recently got a VTOL craft
(based on a concept drawing of the DuoTrek, from the SoloTrek website) to
hover inverted, with lots of negative pitch at upper extent of collective,
and minimize blade twist to help neutralize the blade's built-in efficiency
to produce lift in one given direction (as you would expect in the real
world). I believe the former technique (and perhaps the latter as well, not
sure) is used in real R/C helicopters. One nice thing about X-Plane is when
you want to do something specific (like hovering inverted, or making a plane
more stable, etc), the real world is a good place to start......try to
imagine what would be necessary on a real plane in the real world to
accomplish what you're trying to do, and apply that to X-Plane.

X-Plane site: http://x-plane.com

My inverted VTOL craft: http://x-plane.org/users/mattb/vtol_inverted.html

Btw, dunno if MSFS supports this, but X-Plane supports the FlightLink
collective so you can control throttle with twisting grip and collective
pitch with the grip arm. I *think* you could also make this work with generic
equipment. Now I've heard that most helicopters have collective and throttle
mechanically linked, but I assume this could be handled satisfactorily with
custom hardware.

	-Matt Bailey