[simpits-tech] Common Ground?

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:32:14 +0000

Hey Guys,

I got those goofy headsets today. They weren't XLR connectors like we
thought. Matter of fact, each had a different connector, one with holes, one
with pins, and each with a different layout. Seem to be the same type of
headsest, though, and I've figured out how to get them working with PC. I do
have a question, though.

Right now the plan is to use a 1/4" jack for both the mic and headset - I.E.
only one plug for the whole headset. A 1/4" stereo plug has 3 bands,
normally used for ground, left channel and right channel. Here is my
question: Is it possible to have mic and speaker share a common ground? This
way I would have a 1/4" plug on the headsets, with one band for ground, one
for speakers, one for mic. Then from the 1/4" jack it would split off into
the mic and speaker lines to 1/8" plugs that would plug into the computer.
Here is a rough drawing of what I'm planning to do:
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~bjsikkem/commonground.jpg

It seems to me it's perfectly doable, but I figured I would check with you
guys. I figure someone here has probably tried something similar at one
time, and can tell me if it won't work.

Brian