[simpits-tech] OT: EX Copter Crash

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:36:42 +0000

>the trade off is that it has a lot more options on where it can land!

True, but those options only exist when the helicopter has power. Should the
power to the rotor blades ever go bye-bye (to use the technical term),
you're pretty much limited to one option: down. (Yeah yeah, I'm aware of
autorotation, it still doesn't get you very far). With an airplane, power go
bye-bye, you can take a look around and pick your best option within a
pretty large circle. I know that once I started flying, I was amazed at just
how much land (around me, anyway) is just fields. And having been in a
situation once where I had to start looking pretty closely at those fields,
trying to figure out which would be best to make an unschedualed landing, I
can definitely say I was glad to be in a fixed-wing ;)

This reminds me of a story my dad likes to tell about a radio conversation
he heard in Vietnam between the pilot and copilot of an overladen and
battle-damaged Huey:
Pilot: "She'll fly! She'll fly! She'll fly!"
Copilot: "No she won't..."
Huey: "Thud."

Not really topical, just reminded me of it is all:)

Brian