[simpits-tech] Backlit panels

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:37:06 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Kevin Foisy wrote:

> Hey folks, Wanted to ping you guys to see what your experiences have
> been with backlighing.  I'm looking at a few different methods of
> backlighting my panels and I was wondering what others have done that
> works and doesn't work.  Right now I'm thinking about using white x-mas
> lights and arranging as needed behind the panels, but I've also been
> warned that they throw off quite a bit of heat.

The Xmas lights are an old favourite. Reasonable output, low cost, easy to
install. Like all incandescant lamps though, they do generate heat and the
worry for me was damage to the acrylic panel not toasting the cockpit
inhabitant!  Installing a fan or two helps a lot.

The only cool answer (apart from lightsheet?) I've found is white LED's
but these are still horribly expensive.

Roy.