[simpits-tech] Backlit panels

James Hallows simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:55:58 +0100

At 00:21 10/04/03 -0400, you wrote:<br>
folks,</font><br>
experiences have been with backlighing.&nbsp; I'm looking at a few
different methods of backlighting my panels and I was wondering what
others have done that works and doesn't work.&nbsp; Right now I'm
thinking about using white x-mas lights and arranging as needed behind
the panels, but I've also been warned that they throw off quite a bit of
heat.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
Hiya<br><br>
I was thinking about using an X-Ray viewer. I'm a dentist and therefore
stare at X-rays everyday. The X-ray viewers are designed to throw out an
even and relatively bright light, but little heat, so as not to damage
the films. So I left one on all day recently and the heat output was very
little. There's not much to these things either - a daylight fluorescent
strip and a perspex/polycarbonate diffuser.<br><br>
We shall see once my Aimsworth pit arrives with its panels. ;)<br><br>
The other thing I may try is that neon some computer case modders use,
although I may use that for green or red lighting down onto the panels
from under the lip of the pit.<br><br>
Just some thoughts ....<br><br>
James<br>