[simpits-tech] FW: B737 Landing Gear Lever

Kevin Foisy simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:07:13 -0400

Wow, fantastic description.  Very helpful.
Thanks, now get some sleep!

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Stig Joergensen [mailto:stig.joergensen@clearsky.dk]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 10:00 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: RE: [simpits-tech] FW: B737 Landing Gear Lever

My Heart ran off with me....

Here is a clipping from one of my manuals....

Landing Gear Operation
The landing gear are normally controlled by the Landing Gear lever. On
the
ground, the lever is held in DN position by an automatic lever lock. The
lever lock
can be manually overridden by pushing and holding the Landing Gear Lever
Lock
Override switch. In flight, the lever lock is released when the main
gear are tilted
and the body gear is centered.
Each main gear has one hydraulically actuated and one mechanically
acutated
gear door. The nose gear has two hydraulically actuated and two
mechanically
actuated gear doors.

Landing Gear Retraction
When the Landing Gear lever is moved to UP, the landing gear begin to
retract and
automatic braking occurs. The landing gear doors open and the main gear
tilt to
the retract position. The EICAS landing gear position indication display
changes
from a green DOWN indication to a white crosshatch in-transit indication
as the
landing gear retract into the wheel wells.
After retraction, the main gear are held in the up position by uplocks.
The nose
gear is mechnically locked in the up position. The EICAS landing gear
position
indication changes to UP for 10 seconds and then blanks. Positioning the
Landing
Gear lever to OFF depressurizes the landing gear system.
If any gear is not up and locked up after the normal transit time, the
EICAS gear
position indication changes to the expanded non-normal format, with the
affected
gear displayed as in-transit, or down if the gear never unlocked from
the down
position.

Landing Gear Extension
When the Landing Gear lever is moved to DN, the landing gear doors open,
the
gear are unlocked, and the in-transit indication is displayed on the
EICAS landing
gear position indication.
The gear free-fall without hydraulic power to the down and locked
position. The
downlocks are powered to the locked position, all hydraulically actuated
gear
doors close, and the main gear trucks hydraulically tilt to the flight
position. When
all gear are down and locked, the EICAS gear position indication
displays DOWN.
If any gear position disagrees with lever position after the normal
transit time the
EICAS gear position indication changes to the expanded non-normal
format, with
the affected gear displayed as in transit (or UP if the gear never
unlocked from the
up position).

Landing Gear Alternate Extension
Alternate gear extension is activated by pushing the Alternate Gear
Extend
switches. The gear uplocks and gear door latches are released, allowing
the gear
to free fall. Gravity and airloads extend the gear and springs pull the
downlocks
into the locked position. All gear doors remain open after alternate
extension.
The EICAS landing gear position indication displays the expanded gear
position
indication when the alternate extension system is used.

/Stig