[simpits-tech] Interesting Visit

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:44:43 +0100 (BST)

My 'boss' kindly allowed me to look after another computer installation
with no extra pay or bonuses. I've yet to decide on how best to show my
appreciation for this - but believe me, I will.

Whilst there today to look around and meet the people, I had a quick tour
of the rapid prototyping section which sadly, is closing down - though it
looks like much of the equipment will be moved to my own (engineering)
department.

Cool toys I can't remember the posh names for which include:

Laser 3D scanner. This *really* rocks.

Stereo Lithography machine. Combined with the 3D laser scanner you've
basically got something that will photocopy objects. Yeah, as a pit
builder this could be VERY useful.

The resin product is quite tough, but would also make a perfect mould for
fibreglass replicas.

Also on site there are some very tasty high speed CNC machine tools.

Wonderful toys, will I ever get the chance to play with them I wonder?

Roy.