[simpits-tech] To Sean - Projector Idea

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 16:32:28 +0000

 > > > as a simple test, i can easily stare into my white LED flashlight,
but
 > > > cannot even try to look into the beam coming from the projector. the
 > > > difference in brightness is immense.
 > > >
 > > Good god man, stay away from knives!
 > >
 > > "This knife isn't very sharp because <stab> it only goes partly through
my
 > > hand.  However, this knife <stab,crunch> is quite sharp as I've just
 > > pinned my arm to the desk with it." :)
 > >

 > ILMFAO!
 >
 > gene, subtle - you ain't!

You _just_ noticed?

Hehehehe. And as far as the simple test goes, keep in mind that A) These
should be the high-end ULTRA bright white LEDs. Those things are pretty damn
bright. And B)You are going to be using a very large cluster. I've seen a
number of different ways of trying to estimate how many you'd need, but a
quick guestimate would be, oh, say 50. It'd be a pain in the butt to build,
no doubt, but I think the payoffs (if it works) would be pretty good. Never
have to replace it, runs cooler, hence quieter, cheaper (even with 150 leds,
your cost aint gonna be the $400 a lamp could run ya), and uses less juice.
To name a few. And you can get a pretty good brightness out of clustered
LEDS, I've even seen a company selling LED car headlights.

Brian