[simpits-tech] Landing aircraft

John P. Miguez simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:20:53 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2655F.8A62BB60

Justin, You are correct in the large view vs. small view.  I left that =
part out.  We didn't flare much in the F-4.  We just pointed it at the =
runway and flew the AOA till just before touchdown, a slight flare to =
cut descent and you were down.  The F-4 started out as a Navy plane.  =
The landing gear are massive.  In fact it is the strongest plane I have =
ever known.  Had a buddy who blew a tire, ran off the runway and plowed =
1/4 of earth.  He walked away without a scratch.

But, back to landing.  You do use your peripheral vision in landing.  A =
pilot learns a picture.  He then flies that picture down to landing.  =
This is much harder in a sim when looking only out of the front.  A CFI =
once told me that students who learned to fly sims, often have trouble =
landing a real aircraft because of the different landing pictures =
between the sim and real life.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2655F.8A62BB60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Justin, You are correct in the large =
view vs. small=20
view.&nbsp; I left that part out.&nbsp; We didn't flare much in the =
F-4.&nbsp;=20
We just pointed it at the runway and flew the AOA till just before =
touchdown, a=20
slight flare to cut descent and you were down.&nbsp; The F-4 started out =
as a=20
Navy plane.&nbsp; The landing gear are massive.&nbsp; In fact it is the=20
strongest plane I have ever known.&nbsp; Had a buddy who blew a tire, =
ran off=20
the runway and plowed 1/4 of earth.&nbsp; He walked away without a=20
scratch.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But,&nbsp;back to&nbsp;landing.&nbsp; =
You do use=20
your peripheral vision in landing.&nbsp; A pilot learns a picture.&nbsp; =
He then=20
flies that picture down to landing.&nbsp; This is much harder in a sim =
when=20
looking only out of the front.&nbsp; A CFI once&nbsp;told me that =
students who=20
learned to fly sims, often have trouble landing a real aircraft because =
of the=20
different landing pictures between the sim and real=20
life.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2655F.8A62BB60--