[simpits-tech] Landing the Viper

Ben Jones simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:45:36 +0800

>;) Actually, if you're destroying the gear on touchdown, try goosing the
>throttle a bit before the mains hit just to slow the decent, then hold
>the nose off until you run out of stick.
>
>Steve
>mysticz28@swbell.net

This is exactly how i land real aircraft, when i fly,

 there i several ideas on how to land aircraft but for initial training the instructors like to teach a set powered approach ,
at700 feet first stage of flap,
at 300 feet full flap and carby heat to cold
at about 100 feet reduction of power to idle,
 slight drop in airspeed then the flare ,
 and hold off  ,
 when holding off a ideal reference point to achieve is to put the cowl top inline with the edge of the runway , hold that picture and wait as the airspeed reduces lift is reduced,drag increases and the aircraft should touch down on the mains then after almost all airspeed has reduced the nose wheel will touch down

this is a verry rough and approximate way to land either a cessna 152 or a 172,

when i fly piper cherokees and mooneys i like to fly a " undershoot " aproach with set power slightly higher than normal , reduction of power to idle, flare , then a burst of power to arrest decent , power to idle and hold the flare untill touchdown on the mains then a gentle drop onto the nose wheel  , the reason i do this with low wing AIRCRAFT IS due to the balooning and cushioning affect on flare and landing..

the above  message is wholey my own encounters with flying and aviation the above is not a exact patter taught by a flying school and i do not hold a Flight instructors rating .......YET, just my experiences in landing tin cans in one piece and no smouldering heaps yet fingers crossed .

regards

BEN   JONES
bjones@pipecomp.com.au