[simpits-tech] RE: Bending Wood [Making seats]

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:01:09 -0500

Ian Grant wrote:

> At this point I should open mouth and insert foot. Of course plywood
> bends! That's how (some) boats are built. And not forgetting the de
> Havilland Mosquito...

The Mossie was built a bit different IIRC. The plywood was laminated in
the mold, not before it was applied.

Anyway, bending plywood isn't tough if done right. Cuts partway through
the wood on the inside of the curve make it pretty simple, but I usually
just laminate layers of veneer over a form. Fiberglass between each
veneer helps keep it from breaking.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net