[simpits-tech] High speed steel drill

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:32:40 -0500

kelly Mclaren wrote:

> Guys, just made myself a present, a five speed  8'' drill press. Now
> here's a dum question, for a high speed 29/64 steel drill, at what
> speed should I set my drill press? The instruction manual says 1100
> rpm, but is that for low speed drill or a high speed drill? And also,
> should I use oil while drilling?

What material are you drilling? There's a long and involved way to
figure out the spindle speed needed, but basically it means finding the
speed of the edge of the bit in feet per minute at a given RPM and
looking it up in a chart. I make more holes with the lathe than anything
else these days (except wood and composites, which aren't particularly
demanding on SFM precision), so it's not exactly the same.

And if you're drilling anything other than soft stuff, use oil. I like
automatic transmission fluid and Tap Magic myself. If you don't use
anything you'll kill the temper on the bit and weld bits of swarf to it.
No fun.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net