[simpits-tech] RE: Bending Wood

Mike Williams simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:18:06 -0500

I am using a fiberglass panel to skin my pit and seatpan ,it wil probably
work for what you need, go into the bathroom section where they sell the
wall paneling for bathrooms at Lowes or Menards, I go to Menards around
here, its a 4x8 sheet, about 25 bucks, you can use the leftover for a
multitude of other uses on your pit, there is also a plastic type of the
same sheet that is less expensive but probably will work, the fiberglass
panel forms up real nice, about 1/16th thick and is textured gloss on one
side and real smooth on the other, if you look around the restrooms at the
fastfood joints, most of them are paneled and cieling tiled in the stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Ian Grant
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 10:33 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: RE: [simpits-tech] RE: Bending Wood

I'm a bit late coming into this (PC problems, and I'm trying to start a
carpentry business!), so my apologies if you've already solved the
problem.

Luaun plywood is basically hardwood plywood (typically from Indonesia,
and the actual species of wood is a hit-or-miss affair). It, to my
knowledge, can't be properly steamed.

Fine Woodworking magazine (http://www.finewoodworking.com) carries
articles on bending wood, and the publisher (Taunton Press,
http://www.taunton.com) has a couple of books ("bending wood" in the
search box) describing the process.

The traditional way of shaping wood is actually pretty quick with most
woods. You'll need a spokeshave and some clear (no knots) wood. After
that it's mainly a question of time.

Someone recommended using a router on MDF. While it's possible, I don't
know of any quicker way to blunt the router bit, so make sure you have a
couple of bits available. It also produces an incredible amount of toxic
dust - so use a good mask. Not one of those cheap paper ones, but a
sturdy one with a filter. (There speaks the voice of experience! Like I
say, it's possible, but incredibly messy!)

You could try it with plywood. My wife and I purchased an ancient chair
(I'm guessing early part of last century) that was made with plywood,
and its curves are really smooth. On the other hand, it may just be thin
laminates of wood that were steamed and glued - it's really quite
difficult to tell!

Another option would be borrow a technique from wood-strip canoes and
build the seat up over a frame with thin (1/4" (4mm, I think) strips of
wood, and a really good glue. Plenty of weight in strategic spots, and a
lot of clamps should do the trick. I haven't tried it, but there is no
reason to presume it wouldn't work. (If anyone knows differently, let us
know!)

Model railway folks make interesting shapes (mountains, etc) out of
laminated insulation. It's light, and glues easily. I can't recall which
glue to avoid, but there is at least one that melts the insulation
instead of gluing it... After that, fair the curves with a knife, cover
with fiberglass and sand. I would guess that a reasonably strong chair
could be built that way, although I would think about bracing the back
somehow. You could also glue some foam to the seat for additional
comfort?

Just some ideas! Hope it helps.

/Ian