[simpits-tech] I remember

NETNURD simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:33:23 -0400

ONE LAST CALL

A September day, a crisp fall morn
The city awakened to traffic and horn
The sun arose, get up it said
There is no future lying in bed

Have to pay for Gary's college, Cindy will marry in two weeks
A barbecue this Saturday, a dentist appointment to keep
Put the children off to school, time, I am running late
A call to the restaurant, with my husband a dinner date

The pulse of the city quickens as darkness makes a retreat
Echos reverberate from an army of feet
Just another day struggling to get through
Another day of loving you

They come from many races, many religions and countries abound
The light of a lady beckoned where liberty could be found
To continue the foundation of justice and opportunity for all
Shoulder to shoulder they answered her call

The twins were awakened, commerce flowing through their veins
Sun rays reflecting from a thousand window panes
As if to say good morning it will be a beautiful day
If some one had only known it would not end this way

>From the sky came a spear, it pierced one of the twins heart
Then a shudder as the second shared in her part
Suddenly the phone rang, my husband on the line
I have some things to tell you and I am running out of time

Tell the children I love them and do well in school
To never hate and obey the Golden Rule
Or to worry or live their lives in fear
For Jesus will come and take away their tear

Tell them we will be together when God makes it right
So say their prayers each and every night
And tell our unborn child of her father she will not see
Please give her a picture, the one of you and me

The flames are getting closer I have but few seconds of life
I just wanted to tell you you were the best ever wife
Just another day struggling to get through
Another day of loving you

The phone went silent, a darkness hung over the town
A world cried out as the twins came to the ground
Evil has taken her children now asleep
And in the harbor Lady Liberty weeps

Charles R Morford 9/20/01 Copy Right 2001,2002 Revised 8/29/02