[simpits-tech] Marv: driving DBQ gauges??

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:28:16 +0000

Why EPIC?? Simple answer: integration.

EPIC ties together inputs/outputs and transducers of
various sorts together in ways that would only be
possible with phidgets by writing code for the phidgets
that replicates much of what EPIC EPL does already.

Our analysis is that the extra
coding/testing/integration work involved in using
phidgets far outweighs any initial cost saving you
might realize in buying hardware.

Tight integration is important because Falcon4 SP3, our
software of (no- ;) choice at present, has some serious
gaps in the way analogs, button inputs, lamp outputs
and shared memory data are managed.  These gaps require
some "papering" over with code bound to the
simulator...that's harder to do if your various I/O
systems are not controlled from the same code (or code
that at the least has other means to share "event"
handling).

I know that w.r.t. DBQ gauges and EPIC, the key is to
work out how to hook servos to an EPIC module of some
sort.  I don't see an EPIC module that "just works" for
that purpose.

Hence my question of Marv (or anyone else ;)...has
anyone already thought about how to hook servos up to
an EPIC??

Cheers,

Mark.

p.s. Incidently, last time I looked I thought I saw
that the phidget servo controller could only do max
deflections of 0-180 degrees...isn't that a bit
limiting for gauges that can/should rotate rather more
than that??  I expect this must have been solved already
(?).