[simpits-tech] Zero point on a two needle altimeter

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:58:31 -0400

I really have no experience with these instruments.  I was using this link
as a reference: http://home.swipnet.se/~w-65189/AP_html/pitot_static.htm  I
do have a lot of experience with pressure interments and pitot tubes.  I do
process engineering and HVAC at work.  I was interested in your discussion
on the instruments and from my standpoint, it seems a lot simpler to rig two
pressure(or one pressure and one vacuum) systems to drive 4 instruments
rather than modifying 4 instruments and linking to 4 discrete servos.  If
you're building a two seater, you get 8 instruments with two control rigs.

If you already have D/A voltage output from your control system, you can
hook it to a V/P like this one:
http://www.fairchildproducts.com/ic/xt_download.asp?table=fip%5Feptpdf&id=9&
filename=Model%5FT5700%2Epdf I bought this on eBay for  $30.  I'm using a
servo linked to a standard regulator because I don't want to pay the money
for an analog I/O card.  The Servo controller I use only costs about
$50(runs 8 servos),  and the regulators are real cheap on eBay.  Compressed
air and/or vacuum is an additional expense but if you're only using it for
the instruments, you could get by pretty cheap(very small capacity).

If you could offset the instruments' bellows adjustments to allow only
pressure to be used, it would be no contest compared to modifying each unit.
Also there may be some aesthetic difference on how the needles move from a
servo drive and  pneumatic actuation.

I could set you up with a servo/regulator test rig pretty easy... you could
try it.

Craig R.