[simpits-tech] Zero point on a two needle altimeter

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:19:44 -0500

It'd usually about at the 3 o'clock position, there is a knob on the
lower left of the altimeter that adjusts it. You set this window to read
the current atmospheric pressure (at sea level, I believe) which is
found by listening to ATIS, or checking weather, etc. This is so when
you are at 3,000ft your altimeter always reads 3,000ft regardless of
pressure variations (theoretically, anyway). I was saying that if you
used a pressure valve to adjust the pressure in the bellows to the
actual air pressure at the simulated plane's altitude, you would be able
to use the Coelsman window as it is used in real life, since you are
basically giving the altimeter the same input it gets in real life.

	-Matt Bailey