[simpits-tech] RE: [simpits-tech]Sound Card for analog I/O

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:01:13 -0400

Hi Andreas,

After re-reading my post this morning, I'd like to clarify the work to be
done to make this work for simming:

* Determine the feasibility of running multiple sound cards concurrently
with sims like Falcon4.  I've installed two sound cards in my PC with no
conflict.  I did not use them both at the same time(have concurrent
outputs).
*  Can each of the 4 channels be driven independently for "volume"(sine wave
amplitude)?  I.e., for two stereo channels can the volume for each channel
be commanded independently?  I've done this by manipulating the
volume/balance sliders from the windows sound card software.  How does one
do it from code?
* What will be the computational hit for FPS doing this?
* Would it be preferable to use a "slave" PC with the I/O sound cards
networked to the PC running the sim?  I'm moving in this direction.
* How many sound cards can one PC use at once?

The technical areas where I'm lacking(understatement :))are: Windows DX
DirectSound programming,  PC architecture related to sound cards vs.
multiple applications running concurrently.

I've had some success jury-rigging VC++ apps to interface to Falcon4.  I've
got a usable head-tracker app working.
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfile
s/headtrack.zip  I find sample source code like the  "memreader" (
http://www.eagle9.nl/redir2.asp?lokatie=/main/Programming/F4%20Data%20Extrac
tion/default.asp ) file and cut and paste it with other code for what I want
to do.  Then I debug it by trial and error.  It's a painful and humbling
process. :)  The code for initializing a second sound card and then using
it, has been more than my "back-yard mechanic" skills are up to.

If anyone could point me to a website or book that I could use, I'd really
appreciate it.

Craig R.