[simpits-tech] phidgits + Building Guages

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:14:58 -0500

Stig Joergensen wrote:

> Well Gene,
>
> I don't understand why you need "true position" anywhere - a zero point
> is good enough even for more than 360 deg.
>
> take the artificial horizon (HSI?) where you have a ball that can turn
> in both x and y space, to reset this you don't need to know that
> position of either axes, just start by first turning the y and stop when
> "zero" and then turn the x to zero- and it should now be proper aligned
> again....
>
> the big problem is however, the program needs to know how many steps to
> reach either a full revolution or the stop, and the zero point should
> only occur over 1 position not two or three.....

The normal way to handle the home position is with a sensor of some
kind. A few motorcycles and cars use stepper driven gauges and when you
turn the key they drive to zero, then sweep to max and back to set their
range of travel. All handled by the controller automagically in under a
second. Personally I like mechanical or simple electrical gauges for
their reliability (less electronics means less problems in the real
world), but it would be nice to be able to adjust the value of the
speedometer easily since mine is 10% high on the Buell.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net