[simpits-tech] phidgits + Building Guages

Ben Jones simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:51:10 +0800

mr g, sir

i have thought about this my idea is as follows
(this is in my head and has not been built yet and i mught be way off, and i will stand corrected if need be)

mechanically linked to the drive shaft of the servo is a resistor ie "trim pot" this trim pot changes a resistance which is monotored by a electronic gadget which converts the resistance to say a boolean code or some sought of usefull value that a circuit could exactly work out where the drive is pointing at any time  and relay this to a programme of the phidgit or other device that is driving the gause say a a/h

in theory a linear or exponential pot will do  because the device reading the resistance simperly look up a "look up table" and tells the computer or gauge if iv'e got 28 ohms being read then the gauge must be showing 10 degrees of climb on the a/h  from this a source code could determine ahh i need to move the servo 10 incriments anti clock wise to reset the a/h to level flight in the case of booting ap a game to play or  to initalise the instruments , if this gadget ran all the time the software/ controlling device would instantly be live updated to tell it exactly where it is at any time .

like i said ladies and gents  its only a theory , i dont know if this line of thought has been explored yet or even if it will work .

im sure i have seen this done some where before out on the web !!!!

its out to the talented pitters group , if you can use this idea go for it .
the challenge has been set !

and let me know

cheers

BEN   JONES
bjones@pipecomp.com.au

From: Gene Buckle [mailto:geneb@deltasoft.com]
The problem is that everyone and their brother has a neat method of
driving a stepper motor, but nobody says anything about *feedback* from
that motor.

This is a required feature for something like an ADI or HSI and useful for
something like an altimeter.  THIS is something I'd throw money at.

g.