[simpits-tech] Avionics knobs

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:19:46 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Matt Bailey wrote:

> Been trying to find some knobs to use to tune radios in X-Plane. X-Plane
> has a key for tune up and another key for tune down. So, I thought I
> could simply get a ratchet type switch or a switch with a tab in it that
> has two sets of contacts...one would make contact momentarily when the
> knob is turned one way, the other contacts would make contact
> momentarily when the knob is turned the other way. No luck at RadioShack
> or the local electronics shop. I thought perhaps the tuner knobs in some
> 80s model cars might work, the ones that have a regular knob to tune the
> radio but have a digital display of the frequency. Does anyone know how
> the knobs in a typical real aviation radio work (the kind with the
> digital display)? Are they encoders or something?

Heh.. I wondered about this one too. The guys at Hagstrom have a little
encoder called an M4 (I think) which you can hook up to 4 rotary switches
and this will blast out keycodes into something like a KE72.

This device is smart enough to know if you turned clockwise or
counter-clockwise.

About $30 if memory serves.

Roy.