[simpits-tech] ACES II Replica, G- cueing Seat.

Chris Woodul simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:16:39 -0500

Hi Craig,

I enjoyed reading the message thread you directed me to.
The Company I work at makes the SIMULATED SEAT it self and CRANFIELD
AEROSPACE in the UK makes the motor units, mechanisms and computers that run
the thing. We dont do the algorythms for them where I work. The Cranfield
seat is purely electric, except for the G-Valve assy for the Pilots G-suit.
I do know that on the older G-cueing seats that used Pneumatics that the
ability to evacuate the air that has been piped into the zone cushions was a
problem. I think you guys are quite smart and are definetly doing some cool
stuff.
I dont have any of the numbers on operations of the unit ( and If I did, I
am bound by a Non Disclosure Agreement with Cranfield Aerospace) If I can
find any thing like what you are looking for in other industry literature I
will most certainly forward it to you.
One neat thing about a G-cueing seat is that there is no need for WASHOUT,
like there is with a 6-DOF Motion Platform. People need to understand that
you cannot Simulate actual "G" with a G-cueing seat. You can however
demonstrate the displacements and pressures on your body that are nice CUEs
to what is happening.
The Cranfield people tell me that people who fly fighters "get it" but
non-pilots dont always understand the cues being imparted on them.
Other neat cues that are in the seat are accelerations, decelerations ( ie
Braking and Afterburner use) also Gunfire High Frequency Vibration, and
other areodynamic cues.
If you havent already been there in your own pursuits of making a G-Cueing
seat, here is the link to Cranfield.
http://www.cranfieldaerospace.com/spg/simulation.htm

Keep up the good work on your system, I am really impressed. As always there
are some really inovative and clever people on this fourm and thats why I
love being a simpits member!

Take care,
Chris Woodul