[simpits-tech] wounded seal

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:53:42 +1300

At 02:54 AM 10/22/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Sean Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > Well if we're playin' *that* game...
>
>Bastard... ;)

Yup.

> > Oh YES!   a Harley which stops goes and steers!
>You'll appreciate this story. I was at the Duck dealer the other day
>when a biker looking guy came in to look at an ST4. He asked the
>salesdroid if they'd take a Buell as a trade-in (no, they won't) since
>he was tired of paying for Buell parts. Ok, Harley parts might be
>outrageously expensive, but most Buell parts are pretty cheap for some
>reason. But using the cost of parts as a reason to go from a Buell to a
>Ducati?!? Someone obviously wasn't wearing a helmet when he dove
>headfirst into a brick wall.

When I was looking at an 851 (so you can tell I aint that young huh?)  I
got a hell of a shock when they told me to expect a tappet service to run
me 8-10 hours of labour!!!  Bloody hell, I could do a top end service on my
GSX-R400RR (screw and locknut adjusters) in less than an hour!

>I was very entertained after that trip. I spent a while looking at a 748
>telling the salesdroid about how my suspension is better (it was a
>"normal" 748 with Showa parts, as opposed to my WP stuff), how my engine
>is way easier to maintain (pushrods vs. Desmo valvetrain from hell, no
>coolant, can actually SEE the engine), and all that. The poor misguided
>soul was under the impression that Buells are nothing more than faired
>over Harleys. Anyone that has spent any time with sportbikes can take
>one look at an S2, X1, or the new cast frame bikes and tell that Erik
>most certainly has a clue :)

I'm not sure if a Buell is a bike or a work of art... speaking of which
ever seen a Britten V1000 close up?  We have one on display in the national
museum, and you can actually touch it.... now there is a bike ladies and
gents ;-)

Sean <who wants the $300,000NZ to buy a Britten>