[simpits-tech] Projector

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:54:06 -0700

They also have a .025 available by special order, the cost and time was
outside of our timeline. Like many things you work with what is available.It
is very impressive looking when sitting in the cockpit. The 4X8 sheet has
been cut down to about 32 high which prior to the new cradle fit exactly
between the ceiling and the fuselage, the 8 ft length has been reduced by a
couple of inches as well. I would say that it gives a good feeling for a
forward view not quite 120 degrees. The canopy bow cuts off the edges just
about right. There is significant light loss through the material, as a
result the room must be very dark to use.

We may back up and use the 200 thread count bed sheet method as we had
better results with that method as far as light goes. The resolution with
the bed sheet I thought could be better, I will set both up at some date and
compare the results. I need to develop some way of measuring the amount of
light loss from one side of the material to the other in lumens or candles
or some other standard other than a Mark I optical comparator. I am willing
to accept any suggestions, well maybe not any but helpful ones at any rate.

Gene, is starting work on the HUD in the weeks to come and I will have to
back pedal a bit and do some work on the ejection seat thanks to the
vaguarities of the HUD and it's projected image, if you are not situated in
just the right place behind that HUD you don't see a damn thing. Gene has
still to get the pedal adjust working and we will have to come up with a
solution to the seat height adjust to position you just right behind the
HUD. I may have to cut the bottom off the seat to get it low enough for some
<sic> pilots.

Like most items when working on a project such as this you have got to have
a flowing plan and be able to adjust to the problems as they present
themselves. We anticipated this problem a long time ago we just haven't
addressed it as of yet. Looking ahead will prevent you from creating
problems which will cost time and money. Take some of your projects just to
a level of completion that will allow you the ability to address a future
problem as it becomes relevant. If you can create a critical line in which
projects need to be completed and a schedule of events in a order of
completion that some items need to be completed prior to this project being
completed you will see critical stages of work and be able to adjust
projects accordingly. Don't be afraid of making a mistake and having to do
it over again, there is no right way to do many of these tasks experiment
and have fun.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel