[simpits-tech] More Projector questions,

D E simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:51:12 +0000

Hey all,

Part of my 'flight sim' project, although further off in the future for now,
is to build an off axis rear projected type of visual system (similar to the
ones used in commercial flight sims).

For the collimating mirror, I thought this looks like the way to go ..

http://www.nielsensenterprises.com/snomo/mylar.htm

seems quite reasonable in price ..

I am designing a curved frame (which is a lower section of a sphere), the
mylar will be attached to this frame at the edges and then a vacuum applied
to it which will bring the sheet to the right tension.

Does a vacuum have to be appplied to it all the time? (is the mylar
permeable?)

I am still working out the angles on CAD .. seems like it is do-able.

As i mentioned before .. I am a fair way off from making this .. but even if
it doesn't work, I don't think i will have lost much (Apart from hours of
dreaming).

Derek