[simpits-tech] The Cougar Has landed

Jean-Yves SURFIN' Jouanny simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:36:46 +0200

Hi Marv,

I know someone who is happy right now.....
:-))

Superb hardware / software  mix

I've Cougar too,
And I feel fine...

Best regards,
Jean-Yves JOUANNY

-----Message d'origine-----
De : simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org] De la part de Marv De Beque
Envoyé : mercredi 16 octobre 2002 23:57
À : simpits-tech@simpits.org
Objet : [simpits-tech] The Cougar Has landed

It is here!  My Cougar has arrived.

Initial reactions:

This is clearly a step up over other sticks.  The metal really helps.

Comparing it with a real grip (I don't think it is a Block 52, but it
looks
just like one) does show some differences.

* The buttons require far less pressure than the real grip.

* The body is two-part with a parting line down the middle.  The real
grip
is cast as a single unit with the top removable.  I can see this would
have
been a real expense, so it is an understandable compromise.

* The top is shaped slightly different, but the overall size is the
same.

* The thumb switch extension casting is located differently than the
real
grip.  It is located further back on the handle and the angle is
opposite
the real grip.  The Cougars extension is also a little lower on the
handle.
No big deal, but obvious to observation when the two are viewed
together.

*  The pinky lever is mounted differently than the real grip.  The real
grip
has a small extension that has a pin for the pivot point.  There is a
set
screw underneath that allows adjustment of the resting angle.  Again,
the
switch engagement force is harder on the real thing.

*  The lower pinky switch is in a different position that the real grip.
The real grip is offset to the left, whereas the Cougars is strait
forward.
The buttons are also larger on the Cougar.

* The trim switch has a slightly different feel.  The reason is the real
grip has only 4 positions and is "gated" so you can't roll the button
around, but must move it back to neutral to select a new position.

*  The trigger is 2 stage on both grips, but the Cougar requires much
less
force for both positions.  The real grip requires 4 lbs. just to move
the
trigger to the end of the first position.  You need 7 lbs. to engage the
gun.  The real grip's trigger will "break" with a nice clean snap where
you
really feel the detent.  It would be nice to see if the Cougar's trigger
could be modified to do the same or perhaps replace the trigger with a
commercially available part with the same action.

The weight of the Cougar is impressive.  It feels like a single block of
steel.  There is also more resistance when you move the grip than any
other
game stick I have tried.  This really makes the overall feel good
without
overtaxing the casual user.  The real grip will require much more force,
but
that is the nature of the beast.

Clearly the best commercial stick on the market!  While it may not be a
perfect replica, I don't think you will be disappointed with the
product.

If I could have asked for only one thing to improve it would be the feel
of
the buttons and trigger.  Would be a real boon to have buttons that
looked
and felt like the real grip, but that is a small detail.

I'll let you know how it goes interfacing the Cougar to my new bas.  Of
course there will be pictures.  ;-)

Marv