[simpits-tech] Tool Time

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:07:36 -0700

Roy:

I think that DeWalt makes some very good tools, there are better ones on the
market however. DeWalt is on a iMac experience trip, note the fancy battery
charger with the radio attached for example. I have to admit the radio is
nice. The battery charged tools made by them have a definite use and they
function well for the common user, but if I want grunt from a drill I will
still use a Makita. For a compound miter saw I will not touch their saw for
anything other than a 2X4 or trim work, should the need arise to cut a 4X4
my Makita handles the task with ease. DeWalt makes a good line of tools but
ask the people who use the tools what they would purchase if money wasn't a
problem and see how they change their tune.

I have been thinking about writing a short review of tools as a side for
Simpits, there happens to be a considerable number of folks not knowing just
where to start on building a pit or what tools to purchase to get the job
done. My reviews of tools are not an absolute just my opinion. I hope that
no one thinks of this as a list of tools needed to build a pit as many of
the tools will not be used by most builders. Like most people who use tools
we are likely to brag about our tools and the things we can build with them.

Should the review of tools go over well I may go into a bit on tool usage
and some of the things Gene and I build and modify to get this F15 simulator
flying. Let me know what you folks want and I will try and cover it. Gene
and I have been talking about building a Me109 sim and should we pursue this
project we will cover in in depth and provide templates to pit builders so
that they may copy our work, is this something you would like to see?

BTW there are days in which I haven't a clue as to what Gene is working on
and he has no idea as to what I am working on either. I may have a degree in
electronics but he is performing most of the electronic work and computer
work and I have been very engaged in the making of things and fixing items
and faking things and just trying to figure it all out. Gene has a plan
which I only get an understanding of when things suddenly start working. We
work as a team and as a team we get the job done. Trust me on this Gene
works very hard on this project and it is only due to the fact that we can
work together in silence that we get it done should one of us try and
explain what we are doing it only confuses us, see SS Martha F---ing Stewart
for example. His description of what he wanted was three lines on a piece of
paper that made no sense at all to me at first, after much haggling and
drawing of more lines on a pad we came to an agreement and it got built.

Next up on tool time, drills and just screwing around.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel