[simpits-tech] F-16 Force Transducer Side Stick - Update....

Chris Crowley simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 05:31:55 -0400

Marv,
Please put me on your wait list. I am very close to requiring this part.

v/r

Chris Crowley

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Marv De Beque
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:22 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: [simpits-tech] F-16 Force Transducer Side Stick - Update....

As all of you may already know, I have been working on a genuine force
transducer for the F-16.  Viper drivers have some good news coming.  ;-)

Today was a significant milestone in that project.  I got the first lab
prototype transducer working.  I am still running experiments, but it looks
quite promising.  Repeatability is approaching less than 2.5% with no signal
conditioning.

What does this mean?  Well it proves concept that the force sensors I am
using will measure pressure applied to a grip and resolve down 10 bits or 1
out of 4096.

That translates into extremely accurate sensors for our application.

The transducer will allow a true no movement F-16 style joystick with the
exact dimensions of the real side stick.

The first physical prototype will be completed later next week when my
Cougar arrives.  Yes, Cougar.  The Cougar will be the first grip that I will
offer direct support for.  So all you Cougar owners can adapt your grip to
my base.

The side stick body will have the exact dimensions as the real thing.  You
could bolt this up to a real F-16 and it would fit!  This means that you
Viper drivers can have the same authentic look and feel as the real thing
without sacrificing precious side console space or making extensions to your
Cougar's shaft.  If you have seen my gauges you can imagine the way the base
will look and feel.  No compromise to excellence here!

Speaking of feel, the base will require the same force applied to the grip
as the real thing.  That is, 25 lbs. pull or push will give you full stick
in each direction (front back).  10 lbs side to side will yield max roll.

The grip will have virtually zero movement.  Remember, the transducer
measures actual force, not movement like a standard joystick.  This means
that there are zero moving parts to wear out (like pots).

Hopefully, next week I can post some pictures.  I have a real F-16 grip and
base that I can sit next to it and you'll agree that they are identical. ;-)

The base will be aluminum and carbon fiber composite.  It will have some
weight to it.  You can mount it with the same mounting screws the real one
has or you can use a large threaded hole in the bottom of the base (1/2-20
threads) to bolt it to whatever.  I would recommend a sturdy platform since
this side stick can handle LOTS of force.  You will want to mount it well.

More information as I progress.

Marv