[simpits-tech] Flightdata F4 SPK3

Thomas Nepveu simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 14:43:20 +0200

hi all,

Mark Doran wrote:

[...]

> The shared memory area does in fact have some input fields.

[...]

yes I know that. this is why I ask for more ;)

> Switch inputs work as well modeled as keyboard inputs compared to
> anything else I would say.  Plus of course, to ask a sim developer to
> support a direct control input channel like the shmem interface would
> mean asking them to do the same work twice -- I can't imagine anyone
> building a game *without* keyboard support since that's most of the
> market.

Some do :
X-Plane,CFS, FS2kX....

"Hard coding" inputing (eg only keyboard) is now considered obsolete and
ugly

look the facts, there a more (way mooooooore !!) active market in
civilian simpit than military. just because Microsoft FS is more open
than F4.0.

Okay, I know that F4.0 is an old product but I am not sure that OIR and
FV will not include these features too

To conclude, if G2I  wants FV become the military counter part of FS,
they must release a decent SDK. not even for simpitters, but also for
scenery makers, plane makers, avionics makers....

[...]

> it's more of a "better than nothing hack" really.

[...]

I agree with you that shmem is something like "better than nothing" but
it was a first step, I hope next one will be better.

[About simpits controller and programming]

all in all, I believe that EPIC card is not the best way to interface
cockpit hardware. I may devellop my ideas later

Regards.
Thomas.