[simpits-tech] Projectors

Allen Buffington simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:40:38 -0600

I just purchased a projector last week to use on my Beechcraft simulator. It is a
1024x768 native resolution LCD projector. VERY sharp graphic output and at 3500 lumens it
works even in the brightest light. In fact I almost always have the brightness turned all
the way down.
I had previously tried a less expensive model projector that I borrowed from a friend
with a 640x480 native resolution outputting at 800x600 and while being very impressive
because of the size of screen output it was too fuzzy to be able to project any gauges on
the screen and be able to read the numbers on them. Perhaps if you were to use a separate
monitor to show gauges and an inexpensive LCD projector for outside view it would be
quite exceptable.

Incidentally, I am using rear projection mode with a screen made from a white shower
curtain stretched between two side poles. I saw this idea here on the group sometime back
and it actually does work fairly well. I think I still may opt to purchase a true rear
projection screen in the future but for now it works pretty good...and cheap too.

~~Allen