[simpits-tech] to STEVE, re: throttle arm

Chris Crowley simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 05:37:54 -0400

Marv,
I was wondering how your stick base will differ from the one offered by
Aimsworth? Will yours fit the actual footprint of the real one so that I
don't have to relocate the switches on the forward right side panel? Will
yours put the stick at the same elevation as well?

v/r

Chris Crowley

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Marv De Beque
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 6:39 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] to STEVE, re: throttle arm

I would be curious to see the results.  We have the a rapid prototyping
machine at Honeywell that uses resin.

I made two MFD bezels for myself.  They look great at a distance, but close
up you can easily spot the layering as thin lines.  It gives the finish a
fine line-like patina.

I was originally thinking of using these as masters to make molds, but they
are not acceptable with that type of finish.

If there is a better process that has a glass smooth finish to it, then it
would be worth going for it!  I am very curious to see what results.

I'll spill the beans here, but I have already been considering a realistic
throttle arm for the Cougar to go with my force sensor F-16 stick base.

What I leaning toward is making a mold of the arm (and the rest of the
assembly) and casting replicas using either fiberglass or carbon fiber (I am
leaning toward carbon fiber).

The reason is for durability.  I have the real thing in my cockpit and I can
see that it is easy to get some serious abuse if you smack it on entry or
exit of the cockpit.

Basically, that arm is a big lever and any pressure on the throttle grip
will yield a much larger moment of force at the bottom.

As for making the arm, I would recommend that you make a two-part mold.  The
first part of making a part is applying a layer of gel coat to the molds,
then a few layers of carbon fiber cloth.

The inner hole can be made with 3/8" to 1/2" copper plumbing.  It is easy to
bend and is malleable.  Once the initial layers have cured, you can add the
copper tube and fill with a mix of chopped carbon fiber and epoxy resin.

The resulting part would be very strong.

You are welcome to try this idea.  If you get it working, go for it!  I
would like to focus on the stick base first, but see a market for a good
F-16 throttle solution, too.  Maybe someone out there can do it.

Incidentally, I am hoping to buy a Cougar soon and will offer a Cougar
conversion kit for the Cougar F-16 Grip to fit my force sensor base first.
Since the throttle grip comes along for the ride in the purchase, I have
been considering the throttle arm as a second project, but that is a little
further down the road and everyone already knows how busy I am.  :-/

Marv
--

> From: Steve Wilson <mafsix@attbi.com>
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:18:22 -0400
> To: <simpits-tech@simpits.org>
> Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] to STEVE, re: throttle arm
>
> Er, Marv, actually, that mail was directed at Jim K., whom may have some
sort
> of "in" with a rapid prototyper.  And this whole thing is aimed at
automated
> 3D rendering of the knobs.  I don't want to hand build 15-20 different
knobs
> either.  If my drawings (TBD, BTW) could be used for RP generation of knob
> masters, from there, castings could be made, and ultimately knob sets.
I'm
> trying to knock down that $900 to $1200 cost of the knob masters, and if
Jim
> has a good resource, let's add that to the pool.  If the RP costs too
much,
> though, obviously this is for naught.  But Jim suggested RP for the arm,
and
> while that may or may not fly, RP for the knobs would be super handy.
That