[simpits-tech] Interesting site...

Chris Brace simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:33:51 +1300 (NZDT)

Peter,
yes your right the radio does use a lot of phidget devices! As Chester has
pointed out, I asked for these devices and along the way have been trying to
keep in the design philosophy of the phidgets themselves, while giving
feedback to Chester of ways of making them better and more useable. We are
trying to work out how this could be done a little better, but there are trade-
off's.
An example being where a particular panel needs just a single encoder and 1
LED display (8x7seg) then phidgets are perfect for it. On the other hand if
you have a device like the C172 radio stack where there are a cluster of
devices then using a bunch of individual devices becomes a real hastle and not
very cost effective either, so a mulitpurpose device would be much more
practical. It is obvious in the radio example, but often the line is a little
less easy to spot. I found this while working on the radio project and I guess
this is the only way to really find this type of problem out.
Im not too worried about the numbers at this point, since I have two pit
projects on the go with both types of needs and I figure I'll use the devices
anyway. As the phidget devices mature and the ideas fine tune them Im sure you
will see that they become a very cost effective solution being simple to use
and easy to install.

Chris.