[simpits-tech] F-15sim.com on Userfriendly.org

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:00:12 -0800

Brian

You are correct Simpits could use some exposure, it could also use some
active membership. The Simpits web site is still in need of a person to work
on keeping the site up to date. It still needs people to contribute to the
site their adventures and articles on how to do various tasks. The list
group is now made up of a very silent majority and a small group of friends
who seem to have found those who are just like them. Gene and Roy for
example, if Roy could ever get himself out of Great Britain and visit I
don't think we could ever get him to leave.

There is so many talented people among this list group there is no need to
list them by name we know all of the usual suspects by pedigree. When we
look at the other groups involved in simulation and the following they have
attracted, I can see no reason why Simpits is not the most sought after web
group and site for information on how to do. While it is not our intent nor
our desire to be another site for the latest patch or skin for the leading
flight simulator companies nor our desire to be the news agency for these
companies we do need to make ourselves a voice in the community. We need to
be able to have the companies that manufacture Sims allow us to have what we
need to get our Sims to attach to them. We need the voices of all 200+
members and we need to show that they care about this hobby.

It really seems strange to me how many folks just seem to stumble upon our
little group and then they seem unaware as to what it is that we do. Simpits
is not an easy site to find on any search engine unless you happe to know
it's name. A search under most search engines will locate it someplace
around the 400th entry. Derek's web site seems to be a place more folks find
before Simpits and while we all owe a debt to Derek he doesn't even provide
an obvious link to simpits. (I haven't looked at his site in sometime, sorry
if he has changed his site)
Gene does a good job of posting info on various newsgroups about Simpits and
I am certain some of you have read his posts there as well. He is our
spokesman and posterboy but he is not alone in this hobby.

There are so many folks out there with some wonderful pits that need to be
showed off to all of the people that think it would be a great thing to do
but have no idea how to go about it. Teaching others how they can get
started in this hobby is part of what it is all about. Having a link to your
website on the simpits site is a way they can learn about our efforts. If no
person is will to step forward to accept the duties and responsibilities of
the Simpit web site I fear it will die out in another year.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel

---