[simpits-tech] Sea Hawk

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:40:57 +0000 (GMT)

Roy,

Unfortunately not, as the book is about jets that were in RAF service.  The types covered in the book are the Meteor, Vampire, Venom, Swift, F86, Hunter, Javelin.  I might have missed one or two, but I'll check when I get home.

If you think stuff on the Sea Hawk is rare, try the Fairey Barracuda.

A friend and I 'found' - we literally walked into them - the remains of 9 such aircraft about 11 years ago.  Due to various circumstances, primarily the location of the aircraft, mean they cannot be recovered - the land is designated as SSI - Site of Scientific Interest, so the land cannot be disturbed unless there is a very good reason.

Unfortunately the remains above ground are very badly corroded - ie worthless, but there is a good chance that there are better bits underground.  There is a small section of wing, c/w control rods, fuel and hydraulic lines in good condition.  The downside is a big part of it is buried, hence we cannot recover it.

The Fleet Air Arm museum was very interested at the begining, they had been looking for these remains for well over 10 years before hand.  Unfortunately the location and cost of trying to recover these parts was un-economic, even though there isn't a complete example anywhere in the world.  Even they gave up the restoration of the one they have due to lack of parts/cost.  In fact all they had on display was a partly restored cockpit section.

When I get home tonight I'll get some pictures of the remains uploaded.

Darren