[simpits-tech] Saturday's work...

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:48:03 -0700

The keyboard that you see me working on took me all day to accomplish.
Working with the space limitations (between the rails and abutting panels)
and my own stupidity (I installed it the first time upside-down). The
previous success on making the engine start panel had made me feel that this
project while similar would be accomplished with the same ease.

I discovered several things out about the creation of backplanes. The
thickness of the metal selected must be exact or the dzus connecters will
not seat correctly, the metal we had selected was a mere .04 in. from the
same size as that used by Boeing this was sufficient to make installation
very difficult. Be very careful when choosing your materials.

Dzus rails are 1/4 inch holes be very careful in your allignment.

>From the Dzus web site http://www.dzus.com/

The Panel Line receptacle strip acts as a supporting frame for the panels or
removable parts to be fastened, with continuous holes for stud engagement
and rivet mounting on 3/8" centers. The strip is riveted to a support member
and the stud panel rests against the strip face having the stud holes. The
strips are aluminum alloy with a continuous rigid stainless steel wire
staked across the underside of the stud holes. The fastened panel rests on
the strip and its captive quarter-turn studs engage the rigid wire.

 I used a micrometer to assure correct placement of holes plus a bit of
experience. The use of a pocket caculator would be very useful to do your
arithmetic with. A metal marking center punch to mark and establish a point
for your drill bit to grab is another useful item to add to your toolbox.

Dzus recommends the use of a specialty tool for installation of dzus
fasteners, Gene and I found that the proper use of a RBFH(We used in this
case a non marking rubber RBFH) will accomplish the task. The RBFH does not
flare the dzus fastener as theirs does so I would not recommend the use of a
RBFH in the installation for aviation use.

Gene obtained a monochrome monitor some time ago for the specific
application behind this panel. The monitor is just a "tad" larger than the
display opening in the panel face and has a face curvature. Due to this we
had several compromises to make on the depth to set the monitor behind the
panel. I chose 3/16 of an inch and I think we could have done with a bit
less when the panel was constructed.

When the panel was finished Gene still had to program the key assignments to
the Hagstrom keyboard encoder http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/. The
Hagstrom has a very good piece of software to help in the assignment of keys
and quite easy to use.

While not a part of the F-15 the keyboard will provide a much needed device
to the sim project.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel