[simpits-tech] Driving LED displays via a serial line

Ken Trager simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 16:42:04 -0400

--------------FAFFCCD27E971B512EDCB791

Alex

Try e-lab at www.elabinc.com

Use the EDE1400 - Serial to Parallel chip driving the EDE 707 Octal
Seven Segment Display

I have not tried it but hopefully it will help

Ken Trager

> Anybody doing this? If so, how?
>
> I've done some preliminary searches and I can only find chips that
> require a clock and latch line - which is getting beyond my hardware
> skills.
>
> What would be sweet is a chip (much like the stuff that Ferret
> Electronics sells) that takes a simple 2400bps serial input and drives
> 2 x 7 segment LEDs.
>
> I'd like to drive a 4 digit and a 2 digit display for my altimeter
> (the 4 digits for the baro setting, the 2 digits for the thousands of
> feet). The serial line 'splitter' that I'm using to drive a couple of
> steppers (one being the altimeter) has 3 spair outputs to drive 3 more
> serial devices.

--------------FAFFCCD27E971B512EDCB791

Alex
Seven Segment Display
chips that require a clock and latch line - which is getting beyond my
hardware skills.</font>
Ferret Electronics sells) that takes a simple 2400bps serial input and
drives 2 x 7 segment LEDs.</font>
my altimeter (the 4 digits for the baro setting, the 2 digits for the thousands
of feet). The serial line 'splitter' that I'm using to drive a couple of
steppers (one being the altimeter) has 3 spair outputs to drive 3 more
serial devices.</font></blockquote>

--------------FAFFCCD27E971B512EDCB791--