[simpits-tech] Driving LED displays via a serial line

Wiebe, Alex simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 15:14:22 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2035F.97C6CD80

Anybody doing this? If so, how?

I've done some preliminary searches and I can only find chips that require a
clock and latch line - which is getting beyond my hardware skills.

What would be sweet is a chip (much like the stuff that Ferret Electronics
sells) that takes a simple 2400bps serial input and drives 2 x 7 segment
LEDs.

I'd like to drive a 4 digit and a 2 digit display for my altimeter (the 4
digits for the baro setting, the 2 digits for the thousands of feet). The
serial line 'splitter' that I'm using to drive a couple of steppers (one
being the altimeter) has 3 spair outputs to drive 3 more serial devices.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2035F.97C6CD80

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Driving LED displays via a serial line</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Anybody doing this? If so, how?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've done some preliminary searches and I can only =
find chips that require a clock and latch line - which is getting =
beyond my hardware skills.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What would be sweet is a chip (much like the stuff =
that Ferret Electronics sells) that takes a simple 2400bps serial input =
and drives 2 x 7 segment LEDs.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'd like to drive a 4 digit and a 2 digit display for =
my altimeter (the 4 digits for the baro setting, the 2 digits for the =
thousands of feet). The serial line 'splitter' that I'm using to drive =
a couple of steppers (one being the altimeter) has 3 spair outputs to =
drive 3 more serial devices.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C2035F.97C6CD80--