[simpits-tech] Falcon4, VB, and F4Glass...

Rob Favre simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 10:38:49 -0700

SNIP>>>>>
F4DM re-creates the shared memory file on the target machine (just as if
F4
was running there). It should work with SP2, but could be truncated if
the
size was increased (don't know out of my head). F4DM copies only
sizeof(FlightData) bytes. I only need to re-compile F4DM with the new
FlightData.h to get it fixed. Coming soon... :)

Erwin.
SNIP>>>>>

Actually Erwin brings up a good point in the fundamental difference in
how F4DM differs from F4 Server.  F4DM 'recreates' the shared memory
file on a networked PC.  F4DM runs a program that constantly copies the
shared memory data on the Falcon 4 host, to another PC that is running a
program that receives the data, and sort of 'pastes' it into the shared
memory on the second PC.  Then, you would run a program like F4Glass
that reads the shared memory on the second machine.

F4 Server is geared towards a 'client/server' model.  F4 Server runs on
the Falcon 4 host, and sends 'requested pieces' of data to individual
'requestors'.  If you were creating a program to display DED data on a
second computer, you would request only 10 pieces (packets) of data from
F4 Server (the 5 display lines, and the 5 inverted data lines).  Only
those 10 packets would be sent to you, not the entire shared memory
space.

In one experiment, one of my friends in Switzerland was running Falcon 4
with F4 Server.  He provided me with his IP address, and I was able to
view his DED, Artificial Horizon and Engine/Fuel data from my home in
California.

Erwin...hope I explained this correctly ;-)

Rob