[simpits-tech] Trainer for sale

Jim K. simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 09 May 2002 15:26:45 -0600

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Mark Doran wrote:
 > Looks like the vendor can't sell outside of the US...
 > Cheers,
 > Mark.
 >>I'd be much more willing to believe that he _won't_ rather than can't.
There isn't any technology in that thing that would preclude it from being
exported.
g.>>>>

Actually he probably can not export that trainer.  It's not so much that
there is any technology in that trainer its that the U.S. does not want any
military equipment going outside the country from 3rd parties.  I had a
buddy that was doing scrap work on F-4's.    He was visited many times by
the FBI and others about not exporting anything from those
aircraft.  Everything had to be de-milled.  Many countries (6) still fly
F-4's and buying scrap stuff is the only way they get spare parts.   So
years ago there used to be a huge business in buying surplus than selling
it to foreign countries.  The trainer that is for sale on eBay does not
have any real components other than the sticks.  Its just a trainer to
familiarize pilots with the layout of the cockpit and I'm sure it can't be
exported.

I just completed putting together an F-4 ejection seat and it was tough
finding parts for it that were not de-milled.  But luckily I have it
completed now.  I got some stuff from Martin Baker directly as well as from
another company that converts F-4 to drones for the U.S.
JimK