[simpits-tech] First milestone...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 6 May 2002 14:13:09 -0700 (PDT)

Well folks, as of 10:30pm on May 4th, the first milestone with my F-15C
was reached as Rob pulled back on the stick and lifted off the runway at
Boeing Field in Seattle.

This was the first computer-in-loop test that I'd done with the Eagle.
The USB EPIC performed flawlessly.

The idea behind the test was to get the flight controls calibrated and to
check out any centering repeatability problems on the flight stick (none).
The toe brakes weren't tested due to an EPL programming error and the
throttle wasn't hooked up due to the travel problems I have with the
mechanism.

This started out as a simple calibration run with Rob sitting in the
cockpit running the controls for me.  He had no idea he was going flying
until I handed him the 17" monitor to set on the HUD pedestal.  "What are
you doing?" Sez he.  "You're going flying!" Sez me. :)

Rob flew the default Cessna 172 that came with FS2k2 and it looked like he
had a ball. :)  (there are however, a large number of Space Needle
restaraunt(sp) patrons that need new undies!)

I spent a good 20 minutes banging around the virtual skies and let me tell
you, it's the coolest damn thing you'll ever do by yourself in your own
house. :)  Even without the fancy projection or multiple views, it's still
a kick in the butt!

There is so much more to be had from a flight simulator package when
you're using real flight controls instead of a desktop joystick!  There is
a huge leap in fidelity when using a real stick & rudder pedal setup.
With the rudder pedals in the Eagle, there is roughly 70-100lbs of force
required to move the pedals.  This makes for much smoother control than
you can get from those flimsy "gamer" rudder pedal sets.  You don't zoom
all over the runway on take-off, it's just smooth, "normal" corrections.

Roll & pitch control is also a LOT different than what you'd feel while
using a desktop stick.  Much more authority and rolls are more easily
performed (I think).  I even found out that you can snap roll a C-172 on
purpose and recover from it. :)

ttyl!

g.